Friday, October 12, 2012

uncle rico time...


today I'm feeling really nostalgic for my mission because the weather today IS my mission weather.  Chilly, a little humid, rain, clouds obscuring the mountaintops.  It just makes me want to tell the next person I see about the Gospel. I, and I'm pretty sure every 18 and 19 year old Mormon have been thinking non-stop about missions.  More especially, what my mission meant to me.
Elder Holland always says that no boy ever loved his mission or was more changed than he was.  I will take over the sister side of that statement.  I had no idea what I was in for when I flew off to Chile.  My mission fundamentally changed me.  It's as though, piece by piece, God cut out a heart of stone and replaced it with a heart of flesh.  Now, I'm not even close to where I want to be, but my mission service altered the course of my life, it illuminated my soul with the glorious light of Christ--the light that can and will outweigh and brighten any dark parts.  My service taught me not to ride the easy wave of apathy, but to actively and brightly seek the Savior.
My service gave me a sense of humor and (hopefully) greater work ethic.  I have confidence in my testimony and even greater confidence in God.  I trust in His infinite goodness and ability to lead lives to their greatest good.  I know God loves me because I am His daughter.  I know that living the Gospel of Jesus Christ is anybody's best shot at real, solid happiness and joy in this life.  
My service carved out a part of my soul that was filled with overwhelming love for people and places at the bottom of the earth.  These people, places, and experiences have changed me forever.  I am different and I am so thankful that Heavenly Father turned my "sacrifice" of a year-and-a-half into the greatest blessing of my life (besides Thayner, of course).  
There is no greater joy than helping somebody come unto Christ.  If you are thinking about a mission, do it.  Don't look back.  Enjoy and relish every second of it because it will make every day for the rest of your life happier and better, you will love deeper, and your work and your glory will be clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment